UNITY IS STRENGTH
For the first time in the history of Duchenne muscular dystrophy, also known as DMD, we see a glimmer of hope emerging on the horizon.
Indeed, several new treatments are currently in the process of being approved around the world and are about to become available.
Science and technology have never before advanced at a faster rate than we are now seeing! Treatments conceived with the objective of improving the quality of life of afflicted children and young adults will soon be upon us AND recent developments lead us to believe that we are on the verge of curing this very grave disease that is Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD).
The Force’s Mission
The Force Foundation’s mission is to unite the DMD community to raise awareness around a common objective: that of providing access to new treatments as fast as possible and to participate in the funding of promising research projects.
Where access to treatments for rare diseases is concerned, it is essential that our community be strong: each member must be an active spokesperson who helps raise awareness for DMD among the general public, as well as for the challenges associated with access to treatment.
The Force’s Mandate
To this end, we take it upon ourselves to inform and provide tools to families living with DMD so that they can become effective advocates for the right to treatment.
We believe that every action is essential in the pursuit of a cure for DMD and that there indeed is strength in unity.
The Force’s Goal
Our ultimate goal is to help improve the lives of a whole generation of young boys by:
- building links with the DMD community and making the disease known;
- working tirelessly to accelerate and facilitate the availability of existing treatments; and
- participating, according to our moderate means, to the advancement of targeted DMD research to bring us all closer to a cure.
The actions we take in the pursuit of these objectives include the following:
- The development and implementation of an array of communication and information tools – including this website -, maintaining a blog and publishing a monthly newsletter.
- Developing and maintaining contact with organizations that share our objectives in Canada, the US and elsewhere.
- Organizing sports, social and cultural events to raise awareness about Duchenne muscular dystrophy and amass funds.
- Direct funding of promising research projects to develop treatments geared toward delaying the effects of the disease and, of course, to find a definitive cure.